Re: [OM] OM 2/SP Program Function

Subject: Re: [OM] OM 2/SP Program Function
From: Richard Ross <rhdesign@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 12:22:53 +0100
Hello Tobias

>Program Mode:  1/60
>Auto Mode:     1/8
>Manual S:      1/8
>
>No film in the camera. When I take a shot I get the times above.
>
>How can it be that the camera has these large differences between the
>settings? There are TWO TO THREE STEPS difference!!

In program mode, the camera sets *lens aperture* as well as shutter speed.
In manual and auto, it uses the aperture you've set.  So if you've set a
small aperture (e.g f16) you will likely see a slow shutter speed in auto
and manual, but in Program, the camera will try to use a higher shutter
speed to avoid camera shake, and use a larger aperture as a result.  It
sounds as though your 2SP is working properly!  Set Program mode and watch
the shutter speed indication while you turn the lens aperture ring -
there'll be a range over which it won't move.  Eventually as you open the
aperture the speed will start to rise, and that will tell you what actual
aperture the camera would use in Program mode.  It will always try to use a
high shutter speed in low light, then starts to close the aperture down
once it's at 1/60 or above (that's a simplistic view BTW)

>---> SO TO THE SECOND QUESTION:
>In Program Mode there is some kind of "intelligent" exposure measuring
>system.
>In manual mode it is spot measuring in the little circle in the middle.
>BUT IN AUTO MODE: Is it SPOT measuring there too, or is it centered average
>light measuring??
>PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

The metering is centre-weighted in Program and Auto, and spot in Manual only.

There's no need to have film in a 2SP or 4 for the viewfinder metering to
work accurately, although if you actually press the shutter release without
film loaded, in Program and Auto you might get what sounds like a "wrong"
exposure since the OTF metering takes over.

You got a bargain by the sound of it!

Regards
Richard

Richard Ross