Re: [OM] OM v. Leica etc.

Subject: Re: [OM] OM v. Leica etc.
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 02:29:01 EDT
Norm asks:

<<  Perhaps this is heresy within this list, but I'd be interested to hear if
others feel that, *assuming similar familiarity with some other brand*, are
there really all that many pictures that in their field or style of
photography they might never have achieved? >>

There was one such series of photos I shot over a period of about 5 years.  I
took many thousands of high resolution, continuous tone "microfilm" shots of
9 x 9" and 20 x 20" aerial photographs with an ultra slow Direct Positive Pan
film.  I had to shoot with a macro lens capable of great results at f/4,
since my exposure times were something like 4 seconds.  Given the volume of
shots required, I didn't have enough hours in the day to use f/5.6 and 8
sec.'s (plus 2 more for reciprocity effect).

I don't think I could have done the photointerpretation of the resulting
images without the 50mm f/2 Macro Zuiko and a Golden Navitar lens on my
projector.  (I had to make out the size of individual trees *IN* forests on
photos that took in two miles of land in either dimension.)

High resolution microfilming is probably an application totally foreign to
most, but one in which it was critical for me to have the Olympus OM System.
Another, more common example, is doing time exposure work with lighting
conditions that vary over the course of the exposure.  One had scant options
in other systems in the "old days."

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV