Re: [OM] To spot or not

Subject: Re: [OM] To spot or not
From: Richard Ross <rhdesign@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 10:06:46 +0100
>I do not use the hi-lite and shadow buttons much.  However, when I have
done they
>have worked very well.  In the Oly Gallery I have a shot of a doorway.
This photo I
>took not long after getting my 4Ti.  I wasn't too sure about the exposure
but I knew
>the one effect I did want was of an inky black shadow through the partialy
open
>door, so I spot metered that area and pressed the shadow button.  I have
used the
>hi-lite button when photographing a white car in bright sunshine. I wanted
the car
>to come out  white so hey presto.
>
>Giles

I was recently faced with photographing a whitewashed building in full
sunlight.  One spot reading from the bright white wall, one press of the
hi-lite button - result?  Spot on.  Detail retained in the wall, and
everything else fell neatly into place.  OK, I could have used centre
weighted metering on the wall and opened up two stops, but the spot
button's a lot quicker.  I wouldn't be without it!

Regards
Richard

Richard Ross
Hemel Hempstead, England