[OM] Re: Magnets, was: Something of interest to UK list members...

Subject: [OM] Re: Magnets, was: Something of interest to UK list members...
From: kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Volkhart Baumgaertner)
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 17:40:30 GMT
Yo,

on Tue, 27 Jul 1999 19:00:59 +0200, Per Nordenberg wrote:

>The
>usually worst speed maniacs on the road get's free...
>
>(I hope I haven't offended any motorcycle riders here by this. Hell, I used to
>be one
>myself...)

Hey, you can't offend us with a cliché like this. Nobody will take it
serious, especially as it is common knowledge that the worst speed maniacs
use Mercedes, BMWs, Ferraris and Porsches. ;-)

But here's a different question, though it is in my case also related to
motorcycles, and, of course, to OMs:

I will be going on a (motorcycle) trip to Scotland in about 1 1/2 weeks, and
of course I want to take some OM equipment along. As we might, besides using
B&Bs and youth hostels, spend a night camping every now and then during the
2 weeks, I have come to the conclusion that I need to drag more stuff than
usual (tent, blankets, slepping mat, etc.) along this time - so I got myself
a tank bag to supplement my existing luggage system. After I got the tank
bag it occurred to me that this would be the ideal place to put my OM
equipment while riding, as it is in immediate reach whenever we stop,
without having to get off the bike and open one of the suitcases or the
trunk - ideal for quick shots.
However, there is one thing that worries me. The tank bag is held on the
tank by 10 strong magnets. Could these magnets in any way have an adverse
effect on and/or even damage my OM equipment (which, if kept in the bag's
bottom compartment, would be lying directly on top of some of the magnets;
in the top compartment it would be 10 to 20 cm (4 to 8") away from them)? I
think at least the top compartment should be safe, but I would like to be
sure, so I'd really appreciate any definite information.

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

--
Volkhart Baumgaertner     email: kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx