RE: [OM] OT: Various filter questions

Subject: RE: [OM] OT: Various filter questions
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 12:19:22 +0200
Hi,

Thanks as always, for a few very informative replies. Here are some
additional thougts/comments on the topics raised in the various messages:

[wkato]

> That's a great deal you got on all those filters.

I know, the cir polarizers alone would already well justify the purchase of
the set, the rest were nice bonuses...:)))

> 2. I have this Tiffen enhancing filter and use it for landscape
photography
> and autumn leaf photography. It really is a bit too much and you have to
be
> careful about having any white objects in your photos or they will get a
> magenta cast. This is the didymium filter and the color cast doesn't match

> the effect it has on film emulsions.

Thanks for the warning regarding white objects, I did notice that it renders
them paler than normal (a bit like the 80 series filters do when looking
through them). Hans said that the fotolabs typically automatically "correct"
the colours when using print (i.o.w. they take out the enhanced effect),
does anyone know if this is correct? Despite the fact that slides give
better quality I prefer shooting prints, but can this filter still be used
then?

> 3. You could use the 85B to try out the ISO 6 tungsten color slide
> duplicating film as an outdoor landscape film??

Well, I'm not desparate to find a need for the 85B, but if anyone knows of a
use that actually does serve a useful purpose (pref. with Kodakcolor gold
100/200 ASA film), I'd be glad to hear it...

> 5. Qantaray diffisuser. It's pretty easy to unscrew the
> retaining ring and replace broken filter glass so maybe the previous owner

> removed the Quantaray UV glass and replaced it with the diffuser glass.

I checked the filter again, and one side of the glass is completely smooth,
whereas the other side is the blurry side. It doesn't appear to have
suffered any damgage, so if it was taken apart it was done carefully. Ah,
someone asked if it actually mentioned the word "blurred" on the ring; it
doesn't, this was just a remark of my own, I should have stated that more
clearly.

> The price of the enhancer, if you like the effect, is worth the price of
> the whole bunch.

I noiticed that :)
www.tiffen.com recommends a price of $60.90 (49mm format) and
www.photofilter.com