Re: [OM] OT: Alert to Outlook or Outlook Express Users --was Winmail.dat

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Alert to Outlook or Outlook Express Users --was Winmail.dat
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 17:18:34 -0400
Gary Reese complained to the list:
Hi all:
>Digest 1058 just came in as a WINMAIL.DAT file.
I did not receive my digest 1058 as a winmail.dat file.  I checked my 1058
digest.  Sure enough I did not receive it in its entirety.  There is a
winmail.dat embedded at the end of one of posters' post in the middle of the
digest and the digest was chopped off at a point after someone else's post with
a Winmail.dat attached at the end.

>For those who are sending  formatted e-mail to the list, please turn off the
blasted >Microsoft defaults (likely from Outlook or Outlook Express) and mail us
just plain >text.
I am afraid that those who are sending formatted e-mail to the list are not
aware of their actually doing this because they never see the attachment!!

I would alert newcomers who are using Outlook or Outlook Express to do the
following when posting to the list:
1. Turn off the html formatting entirely as a default.
2. Since there are some posts which might be in the html format that you might
be responding, Rule #1 is not enough.  So create an address list entry for the
list in your address book and check or uncheck (Outlook Express, which I have,
and Outlook differ in this note) to make sure that your post to the list will be
in text format in the "properties" tab of the address for the list address.

In my case I have a name for the Olympus list e-mail address in my address book.
If you are subscribing to the list normally, you can hit reply in order to
respond to the list, but in the place of the automatic addressee the software
would put in, you TYPE IN THE NAME YOU GAVE TO THE OLYMPUS LIST ADDRESS IN YOUR
ADDRESS BOOK.  This way you don't have to remember to retype the whole address
each time and your post will go out as a text.

If my instructions are not clear enough, I am pretty sure that somone else would
correct me or you will get a better set of instructions.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/