[OM] zooms for OM camera? (a bit long)

Subject: [OM] zooms for OM camera? (a bit long)
From: j.leonarddesigner@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Jacques Leonard designer)
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 14:39:44 -0500
Hi,
I am new to the Olympus list (I subscribed this week) and I would
appreciate your input on a subject that I am quite sure has already been
discused in this group.

I owned a venerable (...) OM-1 I bought new in 1974. I always liked this
camera and still do.
I have a 50mm f1.8 wich has been my prime lens with the OM-1. Over the
years, I made superb pictures with it, and this lens would justify buying
another Olympus body if mine was lost.

A few years later, I bought a 200mm f5 (for it's size) and later on a 28mm
f3.5. I don't use the 200 and very seldom the 28.

Now here is my problem. Two weeks ago, I went to an event where a zoom lens
would have been very usefull. I never had one. So,I decided to buy one. My
main requirements would be lens quality and size. Price of course is to be
considered.

The OM line is quite limited in zoom lenses. Looking in Shutterbug
magazine, I saw an add for a Tamron 28-200mm f3.8-5.6 Super now available
for manual cameras. I went to a camera store near home, to see this lens. I
had my OM-1 with me. First impression was... plastic. In the '70 lens were
not made of plastic. I asked the salesman if this lens was good. He was
probably honest by saying it wasn't bad, that it was a good lens for 4x6.
My first question is regarding this lens. Is it good or not? If I use a
tripod with it, could I get pictures good enough to make fairly large
prints or would it still be of insuficient quality?  The lens has the
advantage of being small, light and I think practical with it's 28-200
span.

Inquiring about the Zuiko lenses (none in stock but he can order) the
salesman told me that they would probably be better in quality and also
give better results than the Tamron.
Now, to cover approximately the same focal length, I should buy two Zuiko
lenses, the 35-70mm f3.5-4.8 and the 70-210 f4.5-5.6.

What do you think of all this? Would I be better with the 2 Zuiko lenses
instead of the Tamron? He also told me the 70-210 was made by Cosina. So is
this as good as a Zuiko or as a Cosina? Is it better, similar or worse than
a Tamron?

As you can see I am quite mixed up in all this! Checking in a few
magazines, I also saw listed in a buyer's guide a 65-200 and a 50-250 made
by Olympus. Are these lenses still available? How do they stand compared to
the other ones?

Can some of you help me in this jambalaya?

Thanks for reading me and have a great weekend (here it is rainy today...)

Jacques Leonard
designer