Re: [OM] Vivitar 28mm 1:2.0 MC Close Focus Wide Angle

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar 28mm 1:2.0 MC Close Focus Wide Angle
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 22:31:53 -0800
Wayne Harridge wrote:

>Does anyone know anything about the above lens ?
>It focusses to 1:5 which could be useful. What is its
>performance like, e.g. compared with the Zuiko 28mm f2 ?

In the US, this lens is a carbon copy of the Kiron 28mm F2.
The only difference is matte finish (Kirons are glossy).
Both lenses were made by Kino Preciosion, and are very good
performers.  Another wide-angle lens in this series is the
Kiron/Vivitar 24mm F2 MC.  All these lenses are modern,
floating element designs with performance rivaling similar
OEM lenses.

The problem is that I am not sure that Wayne's lens is
the same as the above Vivitar/Kiron.  The reason is that
outside of North America (read: UK, Western Europe, South
Pacific, etc.) the names Vivitar and Soligor often pop up
on all kinds of products which were never imported in the
US.  So, Wayne's 28/f2 lens may be very different from the
ones I'm familiar with.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, California, USA