Re: [OM] olympus cases

Subject: Re: [OM] olympus cases
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 20:44:14 +0000
At 10:13 7/15/99 , you wrote:
>I saw a multiply times at e-bay offer "Olympus brand case for
>OM-1,2,3,4,1, new"
>On photo is designed case for  OM10. It is well case for OM-4, too?
>Can this case take
>OM 4 with 50/2 macro lens?
>I need case that can take OM4 with Winder 2 and if possibly, with
>65-200/4 lens (I use this combo most often), too. Does exist that one?
>Which cases do you use?
>
>Best regards
>Gejza Dunay

Hello Gejza,

To answer your questions in order:

1.  The "hard" leather or leatherette (also called ever-ready [or
never-ready ;-)]) case is a different shape for the OM-1,2,3,4 and the
OM-10.  I have seen three Olympus cases and there may be more.  The outer
dimensions of the OM-10 are nearly identical, but the shape on the ends of
the body are slightly different.  Also, there is no cutout to operate the
self-timer switch on the front of an OM-4 body.  You can "make" an
OM-1,2,3,4 fit in an OM-10 case but you may eventually "brass" the body on
the ends due to the different shape rubbing on the inside of the case.  The
case I use for my OM-4 is an OM-1 or OM-2 case.  It is brown and since the
OM-4 is ever so slightly taller than the 1 or 2 (1 mm?), the body sticks
above the bottom very slightly, but still fits very well.  I have seen a
newer black case for the OM-3ti and OM-4T.  It has a larger cutout and
different shape on the right front for the grip which these bodies come
with and was an option on the OM-3 and OM-4 (OM-2s also?).  Used dealers
often confuse the OM-10 cases with others since they will fit, but not all
that well, and seem to be more plentiful.

2.  If it does fit in a new, old, or even an OM-10 case with the 50/2 macro
you will be very lucky.  I have not tried it, but the macro you mention is
bigger than my 50/1.2 and the length of it barely fits in the nose with the
lens cap on.  The diameter is also bigger with a 55mm filter ring versus
the 49mm on the 50/1.2, 1.4 and 1.8 lenses.  I don't think the diameter
will be that much of a problem; the macro's length worries is less likely
to fit.

3.  The *only* case I am aware of for the body and winder was a "soft" case
that would fit any of the bodies with the Winder 2 attached.  I bought one
with the Winder 2 in 1980.  There is no separate bottom and nose.  It is
all one piece.  It was designed to pulled off completely and probably
stuffed in a pocket when using the camera.  It's better than *no* case, but
it's not like a leather hard case for protecting the camera body either.
As with the hard case, I doubt it will fit the long zoom you are using; the
nose is slightly longer than the hard case, but still not long enough for
the 35-105 zoom.  I have yet to see one of these soft cases offered used.
It seems to be more rare than the OM-1,2,3,4 hard cases.

For the combination of camera body, winder and lenses you use, I would
suggest a 3rd party generic case.  Many of them have the longer noses that
will accomodate lenses longer than standard ones, and come in several
sizes, one of which may fit your body, and another the body and winder
together.  Several of the major camera bag manufacturers have generic cases
also.

Hope this helps you out some,

-- John