RE:[OM] My OM1 search and rescue mission, olympus-digest V2 #1038

Subject: RE:[OM] My OM1 search and rescue mission, olympus-digest V2 #1038
From: "Chung, Stephen" <chungs@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 17:06:42 +1000
"christopher.barker" <cmib@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote

> Stephen, you clearly know how to sort your OM life out (without S-W-M-B-O=
> discovering of course), but I am a little worried about your near-fetish=
> with fish, 2 of and wet!  Is this a m=E9nage =E1 trois in scales... or s=
> ome sort of necrophilia?

Chris, the concept of employing fish in this fashion is not entirely my own
idea.  It came from a television commercial where fish were employed in a
similar manner to that indicated in my original post by a "Mystical Healer"
who appears to be  practicing a form of alternative medicine.  In fact I
seem to recall this "Healer" even uttered the word "OM" during the fish
slapping procedure.

Furthermore, I do own a small aquarium with some nice little tropical fish
in it and for a bit of a challenge I took some flash assisted macro shots of
my little fishies with the OM1.  Lens was Zuiko 80f4 on 65-116 or 36mm
extension tubes, flash was Vivitar 285,with WA diffuser set alternatively to
1/16 and 1/4 manual power, bracket mounted off camera and angled
appropriately .  Results were all over the place but as I was taking
exposure vs extension vs flash setting notes at the time, I now have a ball
park starting point for the next attempt.  While it has been said many times
before I cannot refrain from reiterating, that the Zuiko 80f4 is capable of
producing pictures with extraordinary contrast and sharpness - an absolute
gob smacking, fish slapping thrill to behold, dude.

> Should we not rescue the OM1, however well-treated since purchase (into s=
> lavery?), to save its little match-meter soul?

Absolutely Chris, thanks for pointing this out. Yes yes, the OM1 regardless
of whether it be in to-die-for-mint or somewhat buggered condition, is a
still a potentially worthy camera so long as you apply the usual caveat
emptor standards.  The many posts highlighting the less than perfect mirror
dampening on the OM1 must be disturbing to many undecided OM1 buyers.  May I
offer the following, for consideration - So long as you are aware of this
'characteristic' of the OM1 and how to deal with it, then the OM1 can still
be a wonderful and endearing camera.

Slavery?....well I reckon all cameras are slaves to their master's bidding.
In fact, having no auto-exposure modes or spotmeter I think the OM1 requires
it's master to work that little bit harder in arriving at a suitable
exposure setting for the picture he/she has in mind.  To my way of
thinking(and I use the term loosely), that is a major attraction of using
the OM1, plus it looks cuter than a bug in a rug don't you think?

> ... although of course I don't have the dosh for a return ticket to Oz af=
> ter buying my latest little fetish - I mean essential lens ;-)

Looking for a cheap way to get to Oz eh?  Allow me to apply my considerable
troubleshooting skills to your dilemma.  Lets see now, you are a RAF Pilot
right?  Do the Brits have any personnel based in the South Pole?  If so,
surely they should have an emergency air resupply capability based in NZ
(which is a takeoff point for flights to over the South Pole).  NZ is a
short and cheap three hours flight time from Oz.......problemo solved,
that'll cost you a Zuiko 50mm f1.2 my good man.

Thanks and Regards
SC.

PS.  I see on G.R's magnificent lens tests page, an entry for the Zuiko
180f2.8 with Oly 1.4x.  It's not a recommended lens for the 1.4x right?
Does the little baffle have to be removed from the back of the 180f2.8 to
get this combo to fit?