Re: shops with net access was: Re: [OM] Hoya ND 400

Subject: Re: shops with net access was: Re: [OM] Hoya ND 400
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 22:18:40 +0200
christopher.barker@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> However, I think that the experience with the Augsburg shop is probably
> to do with the newness of e-mail systems and the lack of experienced
> staff to answer the  mail.

Or probably he was not the only one who wanted to buy some stuff for the
eclipse?

>  Indeed, why should they tie themselves
> to the computer when most people still want personal service - and
> they're not sure that employing extra staff to answer e-mail queries is
> worth the extra cost...
>
> It's a tricky one, but I bet e-commerce will win in the end, to the
> detriment of personal service.

I´m not sure about that, Mailorder is not an invention of the web, it had
always dificulties to compete to local shops in Germany. Special interest
shops, like astronomy, might benefit more from there web presence.
Unfortunatly serious photography seems to become a "special interest"
occupation, especialy for owner of OM cameras.

Regards

Richard