Re: shops with net access was: Re: [OM] Hoya ND 400

Subject: Re: shops with net access was: Re: [OM] Hoya ND 400
From: "christopher.barker@xxxxxxxxxxx" <christopher.barker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 99 14:15:36 +0200
It's true in Germany as well.  Indeed, since Deutsche Telekom have only
just been privatised, charges have still a way down to go.  Nevertheless,
I am charged something like DM2.80 per hour for using the telephone to
connect, as well as about DM33.00 per month to the ISP.  Deutsche
Telekom's T-Online is charged by the minute as well to log-on, not a
cheap option.

However, I think that the experience with the Augsburg shop is probably
to do with the newness of e-mail systems and the lack of experienced
staff to answer the  mail.  Shops in the UK are only starting now to
answer emails in the same week.  Indeed, why should they tie themselves
to the computer when most people still want personal service - and
they're not sure that employing extra staff to answer e-mail queries is
worth the extra cost...

It's a tricky one, but I bet e-commerce will win in the end, to the
detriment of personal service.

OM query for someone more knowledgeable than I: if the split
screen/microprism focussing aid will not go to infinity by a slight
amount, should I keep or send back the little 21/3.5 that I have just
bought?  I should be grateful for an opinion, and I hope that this wasn't
discussed ad nauseam while I was away (MC 50/1.8s anyone ;-))

Chris

mailto:cmib@xxxxxxxxxxx