Re: [OM] Tele Zoom recommendation

Subject: Re: [OM] Tele Zoom recommendation
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 21:59:21 -0400
My two cents worth re: the Tokina.  I have used this lens for about 10 years
now.  Bought new when I had a chance to shoot the French GP at Magny Cours.
It is one of my favorites and always finds its way into my bag when I pack
for an outing.  Is the first one in for motorsports.  It is quite heavy.
The one touch zoom ring does not appeal to many people.  I find it fine to
use but mine as gotten a little stiff over the years.  Focus is firm and
positive.  It does not drift focus or focal length.  The fiinder image, as
expected, is remarkably bright.  With a Beattie or 2-series screen it will
knock your socks off.  I have made comparisions between this lens and the
Zuiko 135 f/2.8 (MC) and can not tell them apart.  At 85mm, the Zuiko (SC)
wins.  I do not have a 200 Zuiko, nor would I, since f/4 is not acceptable
for my style of shooting most of the time, regardless of how light weight it
is.

I did have a problem with this lens a couple years ago.  Some lubricant got
in between the two front elements.  Shame on me for poor storage and lack of
use during a dark time in my life.  A trip back to Tokina for warranty
repair put it back 100% right.  It is an excellent performer.  Works with
the Oly 1.4x t/c also, a nice bonus.  If you can find one, they are no
longer available new unless from old stock, do try to get the metal hood
(shade) instead of the plastic one.

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".
there is no "always" - just long periods of "so far".

to which Thomas Haegin <haegint@xxxxxxxx> replied: