Re: On Civility (was: Re: [OM] Hot Shoe Problem)

Subject: Re: On Civility (was: Re: [OM] Hot Shoe Problem)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 20:16:28 +0000
At 21:41 7/9/99 , Acer Victoria wrote:
>On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Jan Steinman wrote:
>
>>Not to change the subject or anything :-) but has anyone taken any
>>pictures lately? Or is everyone so consumed with whether to take
>>apart their cameras, or whether someone should help them take apart
>>their cameras, that we've all forgotten why we're on this list!
>
>My trigger finger is getting atrophied from disuse <G> Tonight there's
>a Croatian dance ensemble at the Redlands Bowl
><http://www.pe.net/~tmaki/rcmaweb.html>, and I'll try to shoot that; then
>there's something every Tuesday and Friday night playing too, so
>eventually, I'll get a decent photo to put up on my page, perhaps send to
>the gallery too :-) Happy shuttering to all,
>
>/Acer "is /your/ OMx Y2k compatible?" Victoria

Yep, mine's itchy too.  Taking the Contax IIIa, OM-4 with lenses, and
Mamiya 645 to go chase some covered bridges . . . and perhaps seek out to
document one or two of the infamous "Muffler Men":

  http://www.roadsideamerica.com/muffler/index.html

The bridges keep moving around on me . . . sorta like the clams in "BC" (no
*not* British Columbia, the cartoon strip).  My theory is the "Muffler Men"
keep moving them in the dead of night!  If you ever encounter one, document
it, but keep your distance:  at least the length of a Muffler Man arm plus
muffler and tailpipe.  Recommend the 35mm f/2.8 shift; *not* the 24mm, you
gotta get too close with it; the 35mm is also less expensive to replace if
it gets whacked with a muffler (or whatever else he's holding) wielded by
an irate Muffler Man who discovers he's being documented.

Then I'm gonna shoot some color negative using the shift lens to see if I
can get some sort of panoramic out of it by tripoding the OM-4 and winder,
shift to the left, shift to the right (stand up, sit down . . . oops lets
not go there).  Wonder if anyone has ever tried that with a shift,
attempted to graft the prints together afterwards, and how well it did or
did not work?

TGIF

-- John