[OM] Caution: Digital Talk!

Subject: [OM] Caution: Digital Talk!
From: DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 00:32:42 EDT
Thanks to John, Keith, Giles, Andy, and Tomoko for your replies...it hadn't
actually occured to me to ask here, but since you encouraged it..so goes a
few comments on your responses...

John, you wax positively poetic. "This group is Olympus loyalists, itself an
honorable pursuit."  I liked that....Tomoko, the site you passed on (thank
you!) was wonderful for comparison..has already convinced me to forego the
lower resolution and go for the C2000 if anything...if I can find the $$$$.
Keith, my reserach shows that, yes, Olympus is indeed a major
player.....there is strong competition from Nikon and a couple of others, but
the Olympus is indeed no slouch and is neck-to-neck with the best. Tomoko, I
went thru this in the early seventies when the OM1 was such a hit but i knew
the OM2 was a-comin'. I waited and later wished I had not...ended up getting
both anyway! While I do not think the Oly Digitals have the remarkable
"difference' that the OM series had to set it apart,  they are already
becoming quite appealing...hold C2000 in your hand for a while and you'll get
the fever! I doubt we'll all be writing one another in 25 years about our Oly
400z...something tells me that these digitals won't/can't have the staying
power of the pre-electronic whizbangs.  For this reason i won't be buying
several models with the hopes of appreciation!

on to my predicament:

my little sweetheart of a AZ-200 (precusor to the Infinity series) that I
bought in 1990 has finally bitten the dust (dropped at a trade show). It was
a great little p&s for tagging along to trade shows and travel when I didn't
want to risk damage to my treasured OM's nor haul all the "stuff".  Tho I was
horribly snotty to it in the beginning, it had the best lens and clarity
you've ever seen...yeah, when compared to same from my OM2, you could not
tell the difference (unless light compensation was called for, etc) I took it
to the Grand Canyon and blew away a friend's like Minolta p&s....his were
drab and cloudy in comparison, from side-by-side shots.

So I have deliberated long and hard about whether to just grab a nice little
Stylus zoom or, at this time, start into digital. Seems now is the perfect
time to digitize... recently acquired a Epson Stylus 740 (thanks to a
recommendation from this list ) and am very happy with prints on high quality
paper...finally getting photo-ish results! Seeing the digital cameras finally
getting into the upper resoutions makes me drool for one to play with. For
the last week i have been "hung' on the 400z because of zoom, floppy
adapter-interface, 1280x960 resolution, compensation overrides, etc,  it is
looking especially appealing now that it is down to $500 new.
Then I had the misfortune of seeing the C2000 at a local Best Buy and i was
truly smitten. No fair.
Am now at the point of either saving a bit of $$ and time and waiting for 1)
usb interface and 2) higher resolution...maybe the C2500 which has alredy
been announced.

Are any of you considering trying a digital, have tried one recently, getting
the bug, or all of the above?? Don't you think the 30th anniversary as well
as the beginning of the new century is a great time to digitize??(groan..why
did i ask that??  fodder for you to throw tomatoes...:=)
Susan