Re: [OM] Soligor lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Soligor lenses
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 12:35:51 +0200
Dunay Gejza wrote:

> I do not know if it is possibly to name them Russians, because the
> largest producer of photo optic is Arsenal factory in Kiev -Ukraine
> (but some are produced in fact in Russia but I do not know for
> mirrors).
> In every case it is possibly to buy here (but mainly order in advance)
> following mirrors (mainly in M 42x1, some in Pentax K or Nikon mount)
> Rubinar 300/4.5
> Rubinar 500/8 and 500/5.6

I thought the Rubuinars were Russian, at least that´s what Mathias Wilke
said.

> Rubinar 1000/10
> MC MTO-11CA  1000/10

These could be found more often, than the 500mm/5.6

> The prices vary (for new) approximately $150-250 .

Used price is often the same.

Dirty cheap for an apochromatic ;-) supertele.

> I do not know
> anything about quality of images,

Mathias was very pleased with the quality of the 500mm/5.6, he rated his
sample higher than an Sigma 400mm/5.6 APO.

> >Are this some Russian mirrors?
>
> As I wrote above. The Russian lenses have a advantage that you can
> look at the lens and see when it was produced (the year of produktion
> is usually the first 2 numbers, for example 86). The main problem with
> them is (very true for Kiev medium format cameras) that they are not
> that bad, but there is a litte controle of products - so buy somethink
> is a little "russian rulette".

That´s the problem, Mathias might have an exeptional good sample.

> >>   The
> >> problem with Zuikos is that they are best for macro but any
> satisfied
> >> long tele option for nature photography ...
> >
> >They are available, at a price...
>
> I did not think so. I really do not know how to get satisfied long
> tele option for small mammals and birds (the acceptable minimum will
> be about 600 mm).
> And I did not find gold mine to have both systems until now  (may be
> in future) ...

If you can afford to have an 600mm/4.0 you probably can also have two
camera systems. ;-)

For the meanwhile an 500m/5.6 sound not bad, didn´t it?

Regards

Richard