Re: [OM] Soligor lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Soligor lenses
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 11:53:29 EDT
In a message dated 99-06-26 04:00:49 EDT, you, hadesia@xxxxxxxx (Dunay
Gejza), write:

>  In every case it is possibly to buy here (but mainly order in advance)
>  following mirrors (mainly in M 42x1, some in Pentax K or Nikon mount)
>  Rubinar 300/4.5
>  Rubinar 500/8 and 500/5.6
>  MC 3M-5CA  500/8
>  Rubinar 1000/10
>  MC MTO-11CA  1000/10
>  The prices vary (for new) approximately $150-250 . I do not know
>  anything about quality of images, I never saw one normal image, but I
>  know that astronoms use some of them.

I believe that these lens are all T mount lens so they can fit on any camera.

>  As I wrote above. The Russian lenses have a advantage that you can
>  look at the lens and see when it was produced (the year of produktion
>  is usually the first 2 numbers, for example 86). The main problem with
>  them is (very true for Kiev medium format cameras) that they are not
>  that bad, but there is a litte controle of products - so buy somethink
>  is a little "russian rulette".

I recall that about 9 months ago somebody posted the results of a test with
the Rubinar 500/5.6. He had taken a photo of a tiger. At screen resolution,
the photo looked sharp.

>  I did not think so. I really do not know how to get satisfied long
>  tele option for small mammals and birds (the acceptable minimum will
>  be about 600 mm) not speaking about money...

This is a common problem for all of us, even for Canon owners.  As the
telephoto length increases above 300 to 400, many other problems with sharp
photos appear.  Such as camera shake, wind, atmospheric distortion, etc.  It
is not just a lens that will allow you to take photos of high quality. You
may need a very heavy tripod, ARCA B1 head, photographic blinds, among other
things.

> Therefore tests of zooms like Tokina 150-500 or Soligor 120-600 or
> any other brand will be very interesting for me.

There is a test of the Tokina ATX zoom on PhotoDo. The Soligor zoom was
tested in Modern Photography many years ago.  The Vivitar Series 1100-500 was
tested in Popular Photography and did fairly well (excellent at 100 and good
at 500) The Tokina and the Cosina 100-500 seemed to test the best. The Tokina
seems to do better than the others at 500mm and is good because it has a 5.6
aperture at 500mm.  This is still available new. Tamron has a 150-500 zoom in
Adaptall mount. Mirror lens at 500mm are available at the L. Hawkins site

[  http://www.astro.wellesley.edu/lhawkins/photo/photo.html  ].
Many people are satisfied with the Sigma 600/8 mirror. I know that you don't
have easy access to these tests but they are out there. None of the long
zooms are much use at the long end, where you need it.

I would guess than the number of lens produced for the Olympus are in the
high hundreds. Testing even a small number is a lot of work. Availability is
another question. Soligor was very popular here 15 to 20 years ago.  But
recently they have pulled out of the US market.

Good luck.

Warren