Re: [OM] Soligor lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Soligor lenses
From: "Dunay Gejza" <hadesia@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 09:24:09 +0200
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 19:36:48 +0200
>From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] Soligor lenses
>

>> What is very interesting to me is mirror 500mm/5,6. They sale it
with
>> adaptall T2 for various camera brands. It is app. 1,2 kg. Do
somebody
>> have experiences with this lens (and its bokeh)?  It is nearly
"macro"
>> (nearest focus point 1,8 m).
>
>How about Russian mirrors, they are relatively cheap?

I do not know if it is possibly to name them Russians, because the
largest producer of photo optic is Arsenal factory in Kiev -Ukraine
(but some are produced in fact in Russia but I do not know for
mirrors).
In every case it is possibly to buy here (but mainly order in advance)
following mirrors (mainly in M 42x1, some in Pentax K or Nikon mount)
Rubinar 300/4.5
Rubinar 500/8 and 500/5.6
MC 3M-5CA  500/8
Rubinar 1000/10
MC MTO-11CA  1000/10
The prices vary (for new) approximately $150-250 . I do not know
anything about quality of images, I never saw one normal image, but I
know that astronoms use some of them.

You can look at http://www.dedal.cz/optics/35mm_lenses.htm

I think they are fair prices, the basic price in shops are a little
less but there is 23 % VAT (Mehrwertsteuer) added.

>> I am a long time playing with following idea: By us is possibly buy
>> 500/5,6 and 1000/10,5 mirror lenses with M42x1 screw.
>
>Are this some Russian mirrors?

As I wrote above. The Russian lenses have a advantage that you can
look at the lens and see when it was produced (the year of produktion
is usually the first 2 numbers, for example 86). The main problem with
them is (very true for Kiev medium format cameras) that they are not
that bad, but there is a litte controle of products - so buy somethink
is a little "russian rulette". But for example Kallimar company (see
URL above is controlling the products). And you will have find there
description and prices for all photocameras/lenses/accesories from
Ukraine/Russia (and night vision devices, too). The cameras produced
after 1994 have much less probability to have problems than the older.

>>   The
>> problem with Zuikos is that they are best for macro but any
satisfied
>> long tele option for nature photography ...
>
>They are available, at a price...

I did not think so. I really do not know how to get satisfied long
tele option for small mammals and birds (the acceptable minimum will
be about 600 mm) not speaking about money... I know that it will be
blaspheme on this list (but I am not Zuikoholic, I am
animalphotographyholic) but I say it openly: If I am thinking about
long teles I wish Canon (but if I  had Canon not Olympus, thinking
about macro I would wish Olympus).
And I did not find gold mine to have both systems until now  (may be
in future) ...

Gejza Dunay
Slovak republic