Re: [OM] Night shots/Space Shuttle launch

Subject: Re: [OM] Night shots/Space Shuttle launch
From: Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 15:10:26 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, gary edwards wrote:

>Scott,
>
>I've only shot tactical missile launches, in daylight, so I don't have
>specific suggestions for exposure.   I do know that solid rocket plumes are
>very much brighter than you might expect.  Your best resources are likely
>within NASA itself, if not JSC, probably KSFC.  Let us know what you find
>out.  One suggestion, since you only get one shot at it (pun intended), try
>to get a second body with another film/exposure combination for backup.
>Contact me off list if you need a loaner (edwardsg@xxxxxxxxx).  Good luck!

Here are my two bits worth (disclaimer: I have no experience):
You might want to get a winder on the cameras, so you can shootshootshoot.
I'm guessing you'll be some distance from the launch, so aperture (and
hence DOF) won't be critical due to distance involved.
If shooting E6, the huge scene contrast (plumes, ship) will get dicey. If
at all you can, shoot the shuttle itself; of course, you can burn and
dodge the print and shoot the whole thing in it's fiery glory.
All that said, if I were there, I'd keep the one aperture (wide open), and
shoot as fast as I can during lift-off, and bracket by changing shutter
speed (or vice versa--constant shutter, vary aperture). Since you have
only one ring to turn, you can change that one stop in the time camera
advances film.
A blessing in this case would be the F100 and the 1100-1700 Nikkor zoom
(can I have that in AFS please? <G>)(not quite certain on the Nikkor's
range, but it's around that).
If you'd like to see some videos and still pictures etc, my page (link
below) has links to JPL/NASA under the photo section. Best,

/Acer Victoria
--
"When you think you've tried every road / Every avenue / Take one more
look / At what you found old / And in it you'll find something new / ...."