Re: [OM] ADITL HELP!

Subject: Re: [OM] ADITL HELP!
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 18:04:22 -0600
At 03:20 PM 25/06/99 -0500, you wrote:

> Help!!  First attempt with a scanner!  I did what you said, I think, and
>wound up with a 640x480 jpg at 72 p/i, but 900K in size!  Where did I go
>wrong?
>All help greatly appreciated!!!!!!   Daryl Hurley
>
>On Wed, 23 Jun 1999 06:32:30 -0700 "George M. Anderson"
><george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>The image
>>should be scanned (either RGB or B&W) at a resolution of 72
>>pixels/inch
>>and appx 640/480 1:1 size. Saved as jpg medium res.  This should keep
>>image file sizes in the 20-50K range.

Doesn't sound like you "went wrong" at all -- if you saved as a JPEG, you
probably saved it at a default compression of 0% (100% quality, in other
words).  If you have the software to do it, try re-loading this image and then
inching the quality setting down a bit -- say, 90 0.000000or starters.  Then
re-save (use a different name for the file, so you can always go back to the
original if you used too much compression).  You should see the file size drop
rather dramatically.  At some point, you'll notice the *visual* quality of your
image start to fall off drastically -- pixelation, blockiness in otherwise
smooth colour blends, etc.

That's usually a good time to stop compressing any further.  ;-)

(You might even want to go back to the previous file, if you want more quality.
 By the by, I thought the original estimate of 20-50K to be generally too low
-- on the Olympus Gallery, unless they've already been submitted to me at that
filesize, I try to aim for a filesize in the 80-100K range -- seems more
pleasing at 24-bit colour depth.)

Garth