RE: [OM] New Guy to the photography world

Subject: RE: [OM] New Guy to the photography world
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 20:11:31 -0400
Scott,
No reason to duck!  After all, you've got to start somewhere.  Look at the
positive side of it, if you want to get a new body, you can keep your
existing lenses.
If you're looking to add another body down the road, the least expensive way
is an OM-10.  It has automatic shutter like the 101 and has capability of
adding a manual adapter (sound familiar?).
A grade up in cost, and possible performance, might be an OM-G (OM-20).  The
G has the shutter speed ring near the mount like the rest of the OM line,
but much of the innards of the 10 (not as high grade as OM-1,2,3,4.
An OM-1 is what started all this.  It is manual exposure only, but very well
built.  Many are still functioning today. I've had one since 1973.
The OM-2 was the first auto exposure body from Olympus.  In my opinion, a
class act.
The OM-1n and OM-2n added the capabilities of feedback of flash in the
viewfinder, coupled with the new T-series flash units.
The OM-SP and 4 have built on the legacy of the OM-2, the OM-3 has kept the
OM-1 lovers drooling.
One of the members of our list, John Hermanson, repairs OM cameras.  He's
good at it and has kept many users very happy and indebted (pun?) for quite
some time.

Don't hesitate to ask questions, and to check web site links that support
much of the OM line. (http://www.veluwen.demon.nl/om-sif.htm will get you
started).
One individual, Gary Reese, tests lenses and publishes the results.  Many of
us have sent lenses to him for testing.
Glad you wrote, welcome and contribute (questions are as valuable as
answers).

Brian P. Huber

bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx
Troy, OH