Re: [OM] slide projector handling OT

Subject: Re: [OM] slide projector handling OT
From: Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 13:19:40 -0700 (PDT)
OT

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Jan Steinman wrote:

>>From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
>>
>>... The major difference between a regular
>>bulb and a halogen, is the halogen burns at a higher temperature (which is
>>possible due to the filament being tungsten)...
>
>I don't think this is quite right. All bulb filaments are tungsten, but in
>a normal, evacuated bulb,

usually filled with an inert gas, Argon.

 the tungsten boils away at relatively low
>temperatures. Adding pressurized halide gas causes tungsten to stay in
>place (actually, I think it causes tungsten gas to re-plate back onto the
>filiment), thus allowing it to operate at higher temperatures.

Yup. Replates back. Higher temp=higher efficiency, among other things.

/Acer "cheeky whippersnapper" Victoria
--
"Like a cat / Dragged in from the rain / Who goes straight back out / To
do it all over again / I'll be back for more / ...."    --Depeche Mode