Re: [OM] slide projector handling OT now

Subject: Re: [OM] slide projector handling OT now
From: Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 16:00:01 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 21 Jun 1999 Robinsnes@xxxxxxx wrote:

>In a message dated 6/21/99 3:49:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
><< I can't explain it too well. See the tech section on my page, Don
> Klipstein's link. "Soft Start" should be there somewhere (on Don's page).
> Basically, rapid temp changes are bad for filament life. The 'fan only' is
> there and should be used if a bulb blows during a show and you want to
> cool it as fast as possible so you can handle it (paper towel or cloth so
> you don't transfer oil to surface). HTH,
>  >>
>If the bulb blows, who cares how you handle it? Transfering oil to a bad bulb
>will hardly make it worse. As an older user, the Kodak rep many years ago
>said that it was better to leave the fan running to dissipate the heat that
>builds up when the bulb is suddenly turned off. Leaving the fan on for a few
>minutes is why they put a fan switch on the projector.

As in my reply to Charles--I don't give a whit if you transfer oil from
your finger onto blown lamps; I had that parenthetical addition to put
stress on /always/ handling halogen lamps with care. If you have the
habit, you'll either use a towel or you won't.
As for the fan only switch, I believe it's there for use WHEN the lamp
blows DURING a show; it would take too long to cool if left off, and you
obvisously don't want to cancel your show. So you set it to fanonly, cool
the lamp rapidly, change it, and go on with the show.
This is what I've saying all along.

/Acer Victoria
--
http://student.ucr.edu/~siddim01/       <--don't visit just yet!