Re: [OM] OT - slide projector recomendation

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - slide projector recomendation
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 13:07:29 +0200
Ingemar Uvhagen wrote:
> Richard Schaetzl wrote:
>
> > The medium to low price Leica projectors are now made by Zett.
>
> Which projectors are these?

P150, P300, P600, don´t know for the P2002

> I know the Leica Pradovit P150 costs 1695 SKR (approx.
> US$ 197 or 368 DM) which is pretty cheap I think.

True, especialy when comparing it with an new 50mm Zuiko.

Brenner Foto Versand (www.brenner-foto.de) and Ravensburger
(www.ravensburgerfotoversand.de) sell the

Leica Pradovit P150  for 279 DM, 140 EUR

and the

Colorplan 90mm/2.4   for 217 DM, 109 EUR

There is also Würzburger Foto Versand (www.wfv.de)

> So, are the P150 made by Zett?

Yes, formerly sold as Zeiss Ikon and Zett projectors.

> More important: Is the quality to the negative as it is made by Zett rather
> than
> by Leica?

Hmm, Hasselblad trust them to make their big 6x6 projectors, so they
should be competent to design and build projectors. At least Zeiss and
Leica had/have no problem to put there brand on it. Of course you get what
you pay.

I have no personal experiance with this projector, Denton says it´s OK,
sombody else had problems with the slide transport and breaking parts.
Many parts of the projector are made of plastic, this might be the cause
for imprecisions in the slide transport, it could be also a problem of an
not matched slide tray - slide mount combination.
Standard straight slide trays are designed to be used with 3mm thick
standard slide mounts. Thin paper or plastic mounts tend to woble around
in the tray, so the projector can´t catch them properly, resulting in an
transport jam. For thin slide mounts LKM type trays are good or for
CS mounts CS trays.

> > Slides get much hotter in an P150 than in the top models.
>
> What temperature are we talking about? I could not find any temperature
> mentioned
> in the technical part of the different Leica projectors on their web site.

I´ve seen an test in an magazin indicating, that slides in the P150 150W
projector get as hot as slides in standard 250W projectors.

My mother has an old 150W Rollei projector which heats the slide to an
temperature double as high as my 250W S-AV projector. I´ve tested this
with an all black slide. It takes some time to heat the slide up, in the
first 10-15 sec there is no big difference.
Of course the Rollei never has damaged one slide.

I would say as long as you project the slide only some seconds and not
intend to roast it for minutes, it´s OK.

> Also, what kind of temperature are should the projector have not to damage a
> slide
> (generally speaking)?

Difficult to say, because it depends on the test conditions. My
completly black and opaque test slide is not exactly the type of slides
I normaly project. ;-)

> > I would expect an more noticable increase in quality with the P600
> > model, based on the former top Zeiss-Ikon/Zett projector with metal base
> > and an slide transport mechanism made out of metal parts.
>
> Man, if I have to look as high as the P600 I definitely have to look for used
> projectors...

In fact expensive, yesterday, I had a look at Braun Paximat and Leica P300,
P600
projectors and the mechanics of the Braun Paximat seemed to be much better,
smoother working, maybe it was just my prejudice, I could see more metal. ;-)
Thinking, the cheapest Paximat has essential the same mechanics as the
most expensive and the cheapest Paximat costs aproximatly the half of
an P600, this seems to be a good buy.

> > Another projector maker is Braun, their top models are comparable to the
> > Leica P600 models at an more modest price (1/2 to 2/3 of Leica price).
> > Look for the Paximat and avoid the Novamat models.
>
> At Scandinavian Photo, a Paximat Multimag 250 CI-AF costs nearly as much as a
> Leica P300 (3995 SKR and 4250 SKR (approx. US$ 464 and US$ 494 or 868 DM and
> 924
> DM)).

That are Brauns top model, they have some more electronics (IR remote
control, etc.) mechanics seems to be similar.

Ravensburger:

Braun Paximat Multimag 250 C-i 2.8/85  585 DM  295 EUR
(throw the lens away, buy the Ultralit)

Ultralit PL 2.4/90 MC                  229 DM  <- Colorplan grade

Leica Pradovit P-600                   879 DM  } without lens
Leica Pradovit P-600 IR               1079 DM  }   "       "

Brenner:

Braun Paximat Multimag 250 C-i         629 DM  } without lens

Ultralit PL 2.4/90 MC                  279 DM

Leica Pradovit P-600                   879 DM  } without lens
Leica Pradovit P-600 IR               1079 DM  }   "       "

There is an basic model (250W with AF), called Braun Paximat Multimag 250 S
costs at
Ravensburger with 2.8/85 lens          329 DM  166EUR,

Brenner without lens                   349 DM  176EUR

> Novamat 515 AF is said to have "only 53 degrees Celsius" (127.4 F) as
> temperature.
> Is that low or not?

Comparable to the old Rollei projector.

I would avoid the Novamat, to much plastic like the P150, the Paximat
where much smoother working and have 250W instead of 150W of the Novamat
and the P150. That might be usefull with an projection lens with build
in aperture the Ultralit PL 2.8/85 B-MC 259,- DM at Ravensburger and
279,-DM at Brenner

Think an PM 250S with 90mm/2.4 Ultralit, Ravensburger sells for 558DM,
281EUR.

There is also an 150W version of the Paximat saves a handfull Dollars at
Ravensburger for 269 DM.

I found similar prices in the shop I visited today (Photo Dose). So the
mailorder prices seems to be resonable.

I would go to the photo dealer with a tray full of slides and exercise the
projector transport up and down. You could use the mailorder prices to
argue about the dealer prices, but I would buy it at the local dealer if
there is no big difference, at least you could see the projectors before
buying and in case something went wrong you have someone to complain.

Hope this rather long post was usefull.

Regards

Richard