RE: [OM] Macro Flash w/o TTL

Subject: RE: [OM] Macro Flash w/o TTL
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 16:28:00 -0400
Chris,
Since you're using an OM-1n, you obviously aren't going to be using any TTL
as you stated.  There are some diffusers made for T-32's, but not, to my
knowledge for T-20's.
One of the ways I think you might want to experiment is to devise a diffuser
of some type that you can place over the T-20 and get a softer light.  This
might help in getting close and not overexposing.

Since you're extending the lens from the film, you will have an equation to
think about for light fall-off.  BUT, since the flash is also moving closer
to the subject, the same formula applies, but inversely.  In other words,
they cancel each other out!

Another method might be radical for some folks.  Try a Vivitar 3200, 3500,
3700, 4600, 5200 or 5600 with the Vivitar Macro Remote Sensor!
These flash units supported (they were made in 80's) a device that attached
to the sensor on the front of the flash (the Macro Remote Sensor).  The MRS,
let's call it, has a sensor attached by fiber optics to a connector that
inserts in the flash sensor.  The fiber optic sensor then detects the light
at the subject and sends an intense signal to the normal flash sensor.  This
intense signal will drop the output much faster than normal flash-subject
distances ever would.  Since the flash units can all operate at 1/32 power
as standard, the capability to drop down the flash output is easily
supported by this little doo-hickey.

I've seen a number of 3xxx Vivitars on eBay as well as the Macro Remote
Sensors.  This might be what you're looking for.  Which flash the units are
dedicated for won't matter, you're only looking for non-TTL anyway.
However, there are also a number of OM adapters on the eBay spot, too.
Hope this helps, if I can confuse you more, let me know.

Brian P. Huber

bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx
Troy, OH