Re: [OM] OM4T / hightlight & shadow control

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4T / hightlight & shadow control
From: "Terry and Tracey" <foxcroft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 20:52:04 +1000
> As an experiment I took a spot reading with my camera from a distance of
> about four feet of the non-polished black leather of an easy chair using
100
> ISO film under fairly bright but cloudy lighting conditions. The reading
was
> 1/30 @ f2.8. The same reading was confirmed by a 15 degree spot reading
with
> a Lunasix 3 hand held meter.
>
> When I re-spot metered with the camera and then pressed the shadow control
> button the exposure reading changed to 1/200 @ f2.8 which would result in
> photo of a darker shade of black!

That's right. The camera wants the shade to be 18 0ray. To make it black,
it must under expose. When you hit highlight, it knew you wanted it to be
white, not gray. So it added in it's default overexposure setting. I think
shadow should be 2.3 stops under, and highlight 2.6 stops over. The glean
and reflectance of the chair may fool the meter a bit. I meter my hand and
open up one stop.

Foxy