Re: [OM] OM4T / hightlight & shadow control

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4T / hightlight & shadow control
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 22:37:43 +0000
At 22:58 6/16/99 , Charlie wrote:
>Ok I'm in.
>You all seem to agree about how this button thing works.
>Now is it / can it be used on a multi spot reading?
>What would happen then?
>
>Charlie L.
>
>Never had a 3 or a 4 :-(

Interesting question . . . and not answered by my manual either.  It only
shows highlight and shadow from a single spot reading.  I fired up the
camera and tried an experiment.  You can multi-spot and then hit the
hilight and shadow buttons, but the behavior is not what I initially
expected.  It did *not* adjust from the multi-spot average.

1.  The highlight appears to adjust shutter speed downward from the
*highest* spot reading.
2.  The shadow appears to adjust shutter speed upward from the *lowest*
spot reading.

If someone knows the definitive answer to this with certainty please
enlighten us!

Thought about this some.  *If* the results of my experiment are correct, it
might make some sense after all and could be quite useful.  In fact it
seems kinda cool.  If you you want to keep some detail in *all* the
highlights, you can multi-spot them (up to eight) and then adjust the
exposure by hitting the highlight button. It will adjust from the brightest
highlight.  Likewise if you want some detail in *all* the shadows you can
spot on all of them, hit the shadow button and it will adjust from the
deepest shadow.

This presumes whatever film you are using has enough latitude to keep
detail 2 stops open and 2-2/3 stops closed from 18 0ray.  Would worry more
about the 2-2/3 closed keeping enough shadow detail with reversal.

-- John