[OM] Re: Battery testing [was "OMPC/OM-2S Auto Shutter Problem"]

Subject: [OM] Re: Battery testing [was "OMPC/OM-2S Auto Shutter Problem"]
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 11:27:19 -0500
At 10:22 AM 6/13/99 EDT, you wrote:
>In a message dated 6/12/99 11:55:55 PM EST, jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>writes:
>
><<  I check them with a
> volt meter, not the "battery check" feature on the camera.   >>
>
>       Yeah, I was talking about the camera test. I'm finding that to be
>just about useless. Sorry for any confusion. I was only trying to eliminate
>one  major possibility, not trying to say "this is definitely your problem".
>Also, with the voltmeter, trust the battery only if it shows a completely
>full charge, not an "acceptable range" . The OMs. In my exp., are very
>tempermental with slightly used batteries that we would call "still good".
>
>George S.

George,

Thanks for the clarification. My tester is analog, and a cheapo.  It has a
1-10 volt scale as well as a button test setting (among other things).
Using either, I have no indication that the batteries are failing (full 1.5
volts). But it's not a great unit. Who knows?

Tomoko wrote:

>Unless your volt meter can test your batteries under load, your test
results are
>not good.

On the question of testing under load, am I wrong in assuming that an
analog tester is actually testing under some kind of load, since it is
causing the hand of the tester to move?  Did you mean anything in addition
to this?

Thanks to both of you!