[OM] OMPC/OM-2S Auto Shutter Problem

Subject: [OM] OMPC/OM-2S Auto Shutter Problem
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 15:09:57 -0500
Oly Shooters,

Yesterday I received an OMPC that I'm evaluating. Without film and with
good 357's it works fine in Program and Manual modes.  In Auto, however,
occasionally the mirror locks up.  The mirror comes down by turning the
dial to "test" (just like an OM-2N).  The glitches occur when speeds less
that 1/30 are indicated and they occur intermittently and unpredictably.
Occasionally at slower speeds the shutter will close OK, but it will seem
to have taken longer than the indicated speed in the display.  That was
yesterday.

Today it gets weirder.

I had decided not to mess with the OMPC and just send it back.  However,
this morning I played with it some more (I guess I was hoping it had healed
or something) and all modes worked fine!  Then in an unrelated bit of
experimentation, I was changing a screen in my OM-2S and firing off the
shutter a couple times, and the mirror locked up in the OM-2S!  I'm
thinking "Is this a camera virus?"  The OM-2S has never acted this way
except once under the influence of a lithium battery.  I checked the
batteries and they test as good.

We've had a lot of rain lately and the humidity is very high. But it's not
logical that the same conditions that make the one camera get better make
the other one get worse.

Any speculations greatly appreciated!

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA