[OM] OM-PC with light leak

Subject: [OM] OM-PC with light leak
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 07:58:39 -0400
I have an OM-PC I bought used recently and the last roll of film shows
evidence of a light leak.  On 3 of 24 frames (all 24 taken in bright
sunlight) the left side of the frame shows reddish fogging.  A 4th frame
shows slightly curved, vertical pink streaks covering about 20% the
width of the frame and centered about 1/3 of the width from the left.

At first I thought it was the processing since I couldn't see these
effects on the negatives.  I was also suspicious when I noticed that the
3 fogged frames were all in the same relative position on the negative
strips.  The film had been cut into strips of 4 negatives and in all 3
cases the fogged frame was the second one in on each of 3 strips.  The
pink streaks were on a frame adjacent to one of the fogged frames.  I
had the suspect negatives reprinted and, unfortunately, the second
prints came back looking exactly like the first ones.

There is a sticker inside the camera indicating that it had some sort of
servicing on 11/98.  I mention that since the light seal foam _seems_ to
be in good shape... nice and springy and not at all crumbling or gooey.
That also goes for the film cannister window seal.

So, despite the fact that the foam looks good should I replace it?  Is
there some other way that I could have gotten these leaks?  If I buy
foam where do I get the window seal?

While I'm on the question of light leaks I've had the same problem with
my Stylus 35-70 zoom.  I have to admit that the seals look good there
too.  Since the flash failed at the same time I bought a stylus 115
zoom.  I still prefer the 35-70 though.  Can I get seals for the
Stylus?  Can I likely repair the flash?  I'll have to do it myself since
the repair cost is nearly as much as the cost of a new Stylus 70.

Thanks,
Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts