Re: [OM] Re:OM System & Digital Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Re:OM System & Digital Photography
From: "Jeff Borenstein" <jsb@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 21:15:36 -0400
Hello There!
    I'm fairly new to photography and this list as well.  As i went to go
buy a loupe today at some of the local camera stores (I came up empty
handed! Please, someone recommend a loupe to buy that has included light so
i dont have to spend $$ on a table too!)  I brought up the question of
scanning and slides.  Remember I'm very new to the finer life of photography
so I still hadn't descided wether I was going to concentrate on Slide Or
print film for my upcomming trip to costa rica.  He said his company did
custom scanning at any resolution and dpi!  For 2.00 a slide they will scan
a slide at 340 dpi and 2000x something resolution.  I recently purchased a
Epson Stylus Color 850 and it prints at 1440 dpi.  WOW!!  Some of philip
greenspuns prints from photo.net came out incredible!  So, I hear so much
talk about slides vs. prints, and now that the digital age is finally
catching up in quailty i've descided to focus my skill in the next two weeks
on slide film.  This will allow me brighter colors and the ability to print
fairly descent prints at home!  Of course if I do take that magical shot or
two that I wan't professioanlly done, i feel confident this local company
will do a great job of it!   Here's to all the 0 and 1's in the binary
world!  Things are just starting to get interesting!!!

-Jeff

P.S.  What is the name of the kodak slide film (iso 100) that is a little
more neutral and more suitable for portraits again?  I plan on shooting a
lot of velvia but want some faster film for those other situations..