Re: [OM] OM-4 diopter adjustment

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4 diopter adjustment
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 06:47:36 -0400
I said:
> Maybe this will help clarify the diopter adjustment question... then
> again maybe it'll just muddle it up. :)
>
> The camera lens is acting as a projector.  It's projecting an image onto
> the _bottom_ side of the focusing screen.

Then, John Hermanson said:
By bottom of the screen do you mean the side facing the prism?  That is
the
side  (the matte side) that the image is being displayed on.

To which I say:
Thanks, John and ...Son of a gun... I did muddle it up.  I can't believe
that in 25 years of changing screens I never noticed that the matte side
faces the prism.  Shows how good my normal eyesight it.

Well, fortunately, it doesn't really matter which side it's on.  The
important point for purposes of the diopter adjustment is to get the
lens off the camera and get the eyepiece focused on the matte side of
the screen.  Keep the lens off or defocused on a blank area so that
you're not trying to deal with focusing two lenses at the same time.
Use the circles around the focusing aids since they are much easier to
see than the matte surface itself.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts