RE: [OM] IM - Totally OT - no Oly content

Subject: RE: [OM] IM - Totally OT - no Oly content
From: Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 15:20:07 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Olaf Greve wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> : If you don't mind my asking: are you also a cheeky
>> : whippersnapper (as in Gen X, so called? I don't
>
>Nope, I'm 26 and only 4 days removed from an
>inc(olaf_age); expression :)
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Right; was that some variable type thingy in programming?

>> : think I've ever known any 'responsible' adult
>> : type person listening to hard rock/metal, IM at
>> : that!).
>
>Bollocks!!! [depending on how you interpret your above statement]
>Even though metal is by many people viewed upon as being immature, it
>actually isn't... I consider myself to be perfectly responsible, despite the
>fact that I listen to metal ;) Besides, at least IM doesn't have a lead
>singer that is on drugs and tried to commit suicide on multiple occasions. I
>realise this is a bit of a low-blow and DM has been my favourite band for
>years, and I still enjoy listening to it. So please don't view this as a
>personal attack (after all, I don't have anything against you nor against
>DM), but rather as a 'correction' to the implication that is incurred by the
>'responsible adult' bit in your message; now of course I don't know if you
>have only _personally_ met/known irresponsible adult metalheads (in which
>case your statement above would be 100orrect), but at least I'd like to
>attest to the fact that responsible adults that enjoy listening to metal
>_do_ exist, and what's more, they are present on the list, so you kind of
>_do_ know some of them in a way. :) Either way, I'm quite positive you
>didn't mean to imply that (at least) both Hans and I are immature, so no
>worries as to me not having gotten the point you wanted to make. :) Besides,
>nowadays metal is but one of the many different genres of music I enjoy
>listening to :)))

Of course! I didn't mean to offend, and neither was I offended; it was
just my observations that non-Gen-Xers (for the lack of a better
description) would consider metal/hard rock to be the kind of music that
insane/goth[1]/other "odd" people listen to. I find that to be baseless,
this whole cliche and stereotypical image.
DM is my fav band too :-) The three Ds are my mainstay: Def Leppard,
Depeche Mode and Duran Duran. See music section on my page.
Anyhow, I must apologise if the "immature" comment was bit uncalled for,
as this long reply attests that it was taken a bit seriously.

>Now for Hans' comments:
>
>> I myself am from a generation who still remembers
>> how real R&B (=Rhythm & Blues!) sounds like... Age
>> data are retrievable at our homepages.
>
>Hehehe, you'd do very well to retrieve my age from my homepage, as I don't
>recall having put it there, but it's not a secret either, as I already
>"disclosed" it above :)
>
>> As for the hard rock/(black)metal stuff - that's
>> what keeps us mentally young. Ok, we're mental
>> whippersnappers ;-)
>
>In a way we might be, after all I may have still been considered to be a
>whippersnapper when I first got into metal (around '86), but then again, my
>favourite band before getting into metal was... Depeche Mode :)))
>
>> Hansje "666" Beton
>
>Hehehe, wow, you really do go a long way back dontcha?
>I can hardly recall the days when "metal" and "concrete" were confused by
>record store owners ;)))
>
>Alright, enough OT crap, here are the two OM-URLs for Siddiq:
>
>Hans' SIF Page: http://www.veluwen.demon.nl/om-sif.htm
>Olaf's Photo Gallery: http://members.xoom.com/olaf_greve/
>
>Hans has some hooks (= links) in there to his personal page, but I don't, so
>for my personal stuff, check:
>http://www.angelfire.com/ca/greve
>

>Cheers!
>-El Vikingo-

http://student.ucr.edu/~siddim01/
see it as it is, in its random and messy state, but chock full of stuff