Re: [OM] OM-4 + batteries, lens question.

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4 + batteries, lens question.
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 15:22:00 -0700
>From: gma <geanders@xxxxxxxxx>

>>question 2:  has anyone owning an OM-4 ever found that the batteries can
>>actually be "DEAD" before the battery tester indicates?
>
>No. It takes battery power to run the battery test circuit.

Well, I beg to differ...

>>... i was shooting with an OM-4 using the self timer, and about
>>1/2 way through the 10 second timer cycle, the camera shutter would lock up
>>and the self timer beeper would stop... i know the self timer takes a lot
>>of battery power, but shouldn't the battery test tell me that there is
>>enough "Juice" to power the self timer?????

I've seen the same behavior, cured by changing batteries. I suspect the
battery test consumes much less current than the self timer, and thus can
indicate "good" when really the battery is marginal.

My electronics lab is being re-modelled, so I can't find my DVM right now,
but I'll bet one item of the 1000 I currently have on bid at eBay right now
:-) that a milliameter would verify this. I suspect a solenoid is engaged
during the entire self-timer cycle to pre-fire the mirror and close the
aperture. Solenoids are current hogs, and could stress a weak battery to
the point that the shutter locks up.

(I'll also bet John H. has the answer on the top of his head, without using
no steenkeen DVM! :-)

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229