Re: [OM] IM - Totally OT - no Oly content

Subject: Re: [OM] IM - Totally OT - no Oly content
From: Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 15:33:01 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Hans van Veluwen wrote:

>Siddiq, aka 'Acer Victoria' (who is that anyway? the fifth member of The
>Beatles?:-), aka 'The Cheeky Whippersnapper' wrote:

OK, get ready for a long winded explanation of my name:
Acer Victoria, Latin for "energetic or hyper in victory" is what I've
decided to use as a screen name for a myriad of reasons. In high school, I
had two years of Latin, and in my second year, the chap who was the
no-contest genius in Latin/philosophy/literature happen also to be my team
mate on the Redlands High school Academic Decathlon team. FYI, he's the
chap in a suit and long hair in the photo on my page, at right end of
photo. To study for the competition, we had study sessions and meetings at
my house since it was the largest of all nine members' (and they all liked
my mum's cooking!). One evening, while asking each other questions, one
team member kept answering all of them, even though the questions were
asked of specific members. Paul (the Latin genius) immediately named this
girl Multi Nomines, or Many Names (or Named One). I said, "hey, why don't
we all have Latin names that correspond to our characteristics?" Lo and
behold, from then, we had these Latin names. I and another girl (who is on
my left in the photo, all black, leopard skin print) are the only ones who
still go by the funny aliases.

>>Age data are retrievable at our homepages.
>
>: Please post or email the URLs and I shall check them out shortly.
>
>Mine is http://www.veluwen.demon.nl (origin of the e-SIF) and Olaf's Oly
>site is http://members.xoom.com/olaf_greve/
>You may however, when you're tired of reading the boring age data and Oly
>;-) stuff, be more interested in Olaf's IM site, "Maiden Heaven":
>http://www.angelfire.com/ca/greve/m_geeng.html
>
>: R&B, have you tried Def Leppard's _Sl@ng_? It's a departure from their
>: regular self, and was a very controversial album in terms of style. Try
>: the song /Breathe A Sigh/. If that's not R&B, then I don't know what else
>: in that genre of music is.... And since I'll be giving IM a shot, I'd like
>: you to give DL a shot. _Vault_ (greatest hits) or what is considered the
>: quintessential DL album, _Hysteria_, which is the largest selling
>: hardrock/metal album of all time (*afaik* metallica may have it beat, but
>: then I don't like M)
>
>Hmm. A 'Greatest Hits' album doesn't sound really appealing to me. And best
>selling doesn't neccessarily mean it's also the best album? What do *you*
>think is their best album?

What is /my/ fav? That's a bit hard to say, and depends on my mood at the
moment, but _Vault_ was the CD that got me onto Def, and it was the CD
that started me into music, and it was one of my first albums. So I guess
_Vault_ would be it. It really is quite nice, one of the few albums with
good songs throughout. You can listen to 30sec clips at cdnow.com.

>But ok, I might just give it a try. Let's see how well the Amsterdam library
>is
>organized in hr/hm. I may first try an easy one: "Lady, do you have the
>beautiful "Welcome to hell" album of  Venom? (staring eyes)
>No? How about "Iron Fist" of Motorhead? (disgusted looks)
>NoNo? Hmm, ok show me the Def Leppard department. "What did you
>say young man???" :-) DEF LEPPARD!!! Ok, ok, I hear you, no need to shout,
>I'm not def... uhhh... deaf.
My Uni has a huge media library, with CDs and all. I should see if they
have any IM, but I doubt it. Nosferatu, anyone?

--
http://student.ucr.edu/~siddim01/
see it as it is, in its random and messy state, but chock full of stuff