Re: [OM] good-bye

Subject: Re: [OM] good-bye
From: Ingemar Uvhagen <ingemar.uvhagen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 23:48:16 +0200
Glen Lowry wrote:

> IMO, Ingemar's argument about the importance of questioning authorities as a
> natural and important part of his own learning experience stands.
>
> While I recognize Frank's distinction between philosophical (or ethical) and
> scientific facts, I think that it is very dangerous to set one above the
> other--i.e., I think that we need to be careful of ascribing one science a
> higher level of authority than the other philosophy.  And while I don't
> really want to take on physics per se, it is crucial to remember that truth
> in physics, like truth in history, biology, zoology is discursive--shifting,
> debatable, and under constant revision. Higher learning depends on it.  In
> any disciplined discussions of truth, questions will and should arise not
> simply around the answers but the variables presupposed by the statement of
> any mathematical or physical proof/fact.

I do understand Frank's point, and I do agree to it as well. But even though I
know that there are facts that are true and can be proven, I sometimes do check
for myself anyway. Sometimes I don't, sometimes I do.
Sometimes I also ask the exact same question to different people to see if they
have the same answer. If they don't I check, if they do I probably don't.
I guess that is how I am.

--
Regards/
  Ingemar Uvhagen