Re: [OM] No LLS on the 250

Subject: Re: [OM] No LLS on the 250
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 12:14:42 +0200
: << I've always thought a person was supposed to use
:  the hole at which the lens/camera naturally balanced, but Gary
:  enlightened me, explaining that using an UNBALANCED mounting point would
:  lessen the effect of vibrations. Makes sense to me, now that I think
:  about it. >>
:
: Can someone explain it to me, so it makes sense?
: George S.

Well someone who used to be a teacher in maths and physics (hint, hint)
could do the real explanation. Our own List Teacher just resigned (or was he
fired?), but in the meanwhile listen to what teacher Oly has to say about
the 1000mm/F11 in her OM System Lens Handbook:

"The Secret of Mastering the 1000mm Is Cutting Out Camera Shake

It is standard practice to make use of a tripod whenever shooting with a
super telephoto lens, but with the 1000mm in particular, this and every
other possible measure to eliminate camera shake should be given the utmost
importance. You will notice the tripod mount is intentionally displaced from
the lens' center of gravity. There's a good reason. If it was perfectly
balanced, it would never stop trembling one way or the other. To take the
picture try this method: Place your right hand to support the camera, with
your fingertip on the shutter release button, while your left hand is
occupied with holding the lens steady. Think of the tripod as a device to
support the lens, rather than as a means in itself to prevent shake."

I think you can visualize a lens with a perfectly balanced mounting point,
left on its own on a tripod, no matter how heavy this tripod is, as some
sort of seesaw that can move too easily in both directions, thus being an
easy victim to vibrations. Move the axis of the seesaw to one side and put a
heavier person on the longer side and let's see them trying to ride the
seesaw.

"School's out this summer" - Alice Cooper

Hans