Re: [OM] Vibrations with MLU on OM-1

Subject: Re: [OM] Vibrations with MLU on OM-1
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 23:00:04 -0700
Doris wrote:

> 1.- Are wood, titanium or carbon measurably better at dampening
>      vibrations ? (before I pop for a Gitzo Carbon...:-)
>
>  2.- Does bracing make a difference ? Does a sleeve for the center
>      column ? Intuitively, it seems like either helps tame
>      longitudinal vibes along the center column (unless one
>      follows instructions and never extends it...), but that's
>      a long way from "proof".
>
>  3.- How about sheer heft ? Leg diameter ? Is it worth lugging
>      around all those extra pounds ?
>
>  4.- Does the tandem-leg (W-type), which many Masters have
>      relied on, make any difference ?
>
>  5.- How much of an effect do the number of leg sections have ?
>
>  6.- Do the shapes of the legs matter ? O, U, or square ?

Great questions. I would add, "Is there any inherent stability differences
between a pan head and a ball head of the same weight especially if there
is resilient material which is part of the ballhead design?" Does it make a
difference if there is resilient material or hard metal on the camera
mounting surface on the head? Does it make a difference if the tripod legs
are on the rubber feet or the metal spikes? Does mounting a quick release
plate on the bottom of the Olympus reinforce it enough to dampen flexure of
the bottom plate with a long unsupported lens?

Although when making decisions about differences in tripod design you have
to consider how well they are implemented. When the original VW Beetles
would roll over at the drop of a hat due to the inherent instability of
their rear swing axle design I was shocked that the very stable Mercedes
Benz sedan of the same era also used swing axles. They did it much better
however. Porsches and BMWs use MacPherson strut front suspension as do Ford
Escorts.

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA