Re: [OM] Vibrations with MLU on OM-1

Subject: Re: [OM] Vibrations with MLU on OM-1
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 13:02:39 +0100
>Doris wrote:
>
>>   The test I would like to see would be regarding different styles of
>>TRIPODS (using the same camera(s) for consistency). Do braces really
>>make THAT much of a difference ? Are the W-leg type tripods any better ?
>>Are larger tripods that much more stable ?

I'm beginning to wonder if it makes all that much difference in some
situations. The sturdiest of my small collection of tripods is a 1960-ish
Schiansky with leg bracing and pneumatic column. In its lowest position, if
I try to shake the mounting screw it's feels as solid as though it's screwed
to a granite boulder, but when I put my OM-40 and 28 - 205mm zoom on it, it
wobbles noticeably when looking through the viewfinder. I think the solution
is probably a two-point support - something that braces the lens
independently of the main tripod.

Some years ago I took a foot off an old fire screen just for the purpose of
supporting my old Sun zoom when it was attached via a 2x converter and lens
adapter to my Pen FT, simply because it looked so ungainly. This foot is an
inch thick piece of wood in the shape of a squat capital 'Y' and I lined the
'u' shape with a strip of self adhesive baize to protect the lens barrel,
and glued a case-retaining screw to the bottom of it so that it could be
fitted to a tripod. I intend to look it out and try some experiments with
it. I'm also considering trying it out on the end of my monopod to see
whether resting the lens on this instead of fastening it to the camera makes
for a better support hand held.

Regards,
Keith Berry (Birmingham, England)
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx