Re: [OM] First OM camera

Subject: Re: [OM] First OM camera
From: "Steve Worner" <sworner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 15:38:39 +0800
1981: I was about 17 years old and had been using a hand-me-down-me-down
Yashica rangefinder camera with no built-in meter and a little Sekonic.

I was determined to get an SLR and was working in a petrol station after
school two days a week and on Saturday mornings. Every two months in those
days petrol stations would get a 'roster' - they had to open until 10pm each
night of the week. One of these 'rosters' coincided with a staff shortage and
my school holidays so I pumped gas from 8am to 10pm, seven days a week, for
the full two weeks of my school holidays, to save the required $320
(Australian) to buy my first SLR.

I originally wanted to buy a Pentax K1000 but a guy at a duty-free store
suggested that if I wanted a manual camera, go for an OM-1n, which he very
helpfully explained the features of (mirror lock-up, self-timer).

I still have the camera, it still works beautifully, but have been through a
few lenses, starting with Tamron 135mm, then 28mm followed by 200mm but these
days just Zuiko 35-70.

Steve