[OM] First OM camera

Subject: [OM] First OM camera
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 22:06:38 -0700
My first OM was an brand new OM-1 purchased at Elliot Photo in
Marysville, CA in May 1974. It cost $300.00 and included a case and  50
f1.8. Previously I had an Aires III which my unlcle gave my brother and
my brother gave me. The Aires III was a Leica copy made in the 1950s.
It had no meter so I had to learn to shoot by the old f8 at 125th of a
second on a normal day with Kodachrome 64.  My older brother was a
professional photographer when I was growing up so I learned a lot by
watching him.  The Aires jammed when I was shooting the Great Salt Lake
in Utah and boy was I pissed.  As soon as I got back to Nothern
California I decided to get a brand new 35mm slr.  The Nikon F2 was $499
and the Cannon was about $359.  I held the OM and fired the shutter and
realized this camera was different.  The others were tanks.  I called my
brother and he said get the OM and I have never regretted that
decision.  At the time I was probably shooting 50 to 100 rolls of
Kodachrome every month.  I drove all ober Northeren California shooting
as much as I could.  I had only the 50 1.8 and then got a vivitar 2x.  I
had one shot published in a local California mag which was shot with the
vivitar and 50 f1.8.  Boy did I feel cool.  More first OM stories
please.