[OM] Arcane Question No. 1: 50/1.8 as loupe

Subject: [OM] Arcane Question No. 1: 50/1.8 as loupe
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 19:37:27 -0700
I've been using the 50 f1.8 for a loupe for over 10 years.  Back in 1988
I saw an old OM-1 in a pawn shop for $75.00.  After careful inspection I
noticed a slight scratch on the original F.Zuiko (chromed edge &
slightly dented) front element.  He then said "$50 for the body".
As I started to give him back the lens he said I could have it.  I
jokingly said I will use it as a loupe.  I have used it almost every day
in some of the most demanding situations. I've had loupes that cost over
$200.  However this old 50 zuiko is the best.  I modified by making a
plstic skirt from some clear acrylic tube stock.  Many editors &
printers, have come to my office and said "what a wonderful loupe where
can I get one ?".  I've had to explain that this one was made for me
special and they are far too expensive for these loupe snobs.

No the the 50mm f1.4 is not as good.  Neither are Nikon or Cannon 50mm
lens.  Atleast not for loupes.

Phillip Franklin