Re: [OM] Pop photo anti-OM conspiracy? Was: Mirrror lockup effecting r

Subject: Re: [OM] Pop photo anti-OM conspiracy? Was: Mirrror lockup effecting resolution
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 18:10:11 -0500
At 07:53 AM 5/16/99 -0700, George you wrote:

>I got my issue yesterday.  The article is by Keppler.
snip

>**Now**, conspiracy theorists, listen up!  At one point he lists **all**
>the current SLRs which have MLU. I won't list 'em here, but suffice to
>say most every mfg'er has at least one. Except Olympus. Now, here's the
>strange part: Next paragraph reads: "The Maxxum 9 and Pentax PZ-1p MLU
>systems are different from the others. Instead of locking up the mirror
>manually,..., the **self-timer** is used to lock up the mirror about 2
>seconds before the exposure. ... I like (this system)...."
>
>Now, my conspiracy question should be obvious:  Why are the 4Ti and 3Ti
>not included in his list?  Their self-timers do the same thing, albeit
>12 seconds before exposure.  Why did he single out Oly for criticism in
>the article. (The point of comparing the -1 to the -4T was to see if
>Oly's engineers had been truthful when they told him the mirror damping
>on the 2-4 was so good that they didn't need MLU.)

Hi George,

Wasn't someone saying just the other day that Keppler has been very
friendly to Olympus in the past?  How could he not know about the timer
pre-fire feature which has been on Olympus electronic models since the
OM-2S?  (That's a rhetorical question ...  What's the correct smiley for
exasperation?)

Maybe what Keppler likes is the very short wait between timer/pre-fire/MLU
and actual firing.  I certainly wish there was a way to shorten the wait on
the OM-2S.  It's really too long to be quite the moral equivalent of OM-1
MLU.  There is simply too much that can happen in 12 seconds -- I think of
flowers dancing in the breeze -- and it's almost always bad.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA