Re: [OM] Customs

Subject: Re: [OM] Customs
From: Dave Haynie <dhaynie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 23:13:58 -0400
On Sun, 9 May 1999 13:08:27 -0400, "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
jammed all night, and by sunrise was overheard remarking:

> Far better than the Canadian experiences I've endured.

You aren't kidding!

Back in '94, I flew to Calgary for a computer show, along with my
at-the-time publisher. So, ok, we're not excactly cast in the Corporate
America mold, but yeesh! We got pulled aside, waited nearly a half hour,
only for another fifteen minutes of questioning. Fortunately, they
questioned Dale first, so when it was my turn, and it was clear I was
singing the same song, they shortened the interview.

I never really figured out what they were after. Like we were the
advanced scouts for the coming invasion from the South or something (HA!
We have you already, hooked on out TV programs! No one escapes!). I have
been to half the countries in Europe, to Japan, Taiwan, various parts of
the Carribbean, but this was the absolute worst, for me anyway (I used to
have a coworker who had that "foreign terrorist" look that used to get
him stopped just about everywhere, but that was a special case).

> For Canadian officials, I tell them I'm visiting my mistress.  Works every
> time.

I'll have to try that next time. And maybe leave the "Death to Canada"
T-Shirt home, or whatever it was that set them off...

Dave Haynie  | V.P. Technology, Met@box AG |  http://www.metabox.de
Be Dev #2024 | NB851 Powered! | Amiga 2000, 3000, 4000, PIOS One