Re: [OM] Customs

Subject: Re: [OM] Customs
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 13:08:27 -0400
Business travel had taken me to Mexico City several times of late.  They
have a most interesting approach, one I've not seen elsewhere.  Upon
completion of the various customs documents, you are directed to a post not
unlike a small traffic light, with a red and green light.  You press a
button on the post, and a few seconds later one of the lights turns on.  If
green, you pass without further incident.  If red, you then have the
opprotunity to be taken aside and subjected to the whimsy of the customs
official.  The element of randomness is an interesting approach.  FWIW, I've
experienced both.  The red light search was intense and complete.  The
official was professional and polite, but very thorough.  My perscription
medication was carefully scrutinized.  The whole thing was over in 10
minutes.  Far better than the Canadian experiences I've endured.  For
Canadian officials, I tell them I'm visiting my mistress.  Works every time.

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".
there is no "always" - just long periods of "so far".