[OM] Teleconverters - which ones to use?

Subject: [OM] Teleconverters - which ones to use?
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 21:21:19 -0400
I can't tell you which one to use but just multiply the focal length and
f-stop by the magnification to figure out the effective focal length and
focal ratios.

Someone already mentioned that the 1.4X gives a one stop loss (square
root of 2).  The 2X gives a 2 stop loss (square root of 4) and the 3X
gives a bit more than a 3 stop loss (3 stops would be the square root of
8 = 2.83)

A 200mm f/4 with a 1.4X converter becomes a 280mm f/5.6 (200x1.4 =
280mm,  4x1.4 = 5.6)

A 200mm f/4 with a 2X converter becomes a 400mm f/8 and

A 200mm f/4 with a 3X converter becomes... hard to focus (600mm f/12).

I've always wanted a 1.4X converter figuring that I might actually use
it since it's not so extreme.  I have 2 2X converters and never use
either one.  I'm sure that I personally would never use a 3X because of
the light loss even if there were no other optical penalty.

Chuck Norcutt