Re: [OM] Diffuse Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Diffuse Flash
From: "gary edwards" <maitani@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 06:29:59 PDT
For OM-2N and later models, installing a T-series flash sets the shutter speed to 1/60 s. The system controls the exposure by quenching the flash when the camera meter has sensed sufficent light Through The Lens (TTL). Thus, a diffuser or anything else externally reducing the flash output will be automatically compensated for - the flash will simply burn longer. Put another way, the system (camera/flash) keeps pumping out light from the flash until it thinks it has enough exposure. Then it stops the flash output (quenches). All bets are off if you put a dense enough diffuser so that the flash capacity is consumed before adequate exposure is sensed. Putting a diffuser on reduces your range, but is compensated for within the resulting range.

I hope I made it clear.  I'll try again if it's not.

Gary Edwards