Re: [OM] Diffuse Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Diffuse Flash
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 08:57:41 EDT
In a message dated 5/7/99 8:49:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time, slau@xxxxxxxx
writes:

>     I was wondering if the TTL flash system compensates for the use of a
>  diffuser all by itself.  As I understand, the shutter will stay open until
>  the film recieves enough light, so I guess in theory it does.  But is the
>  shutter speed displayed in the viewfinder (1/60) correct in this case?

With the OMs there are two slightly different ways the OTF flash works. For
the newer cameras (OM-40/PC, OM-2n, OM-2S, OM-3Ti, OM-4(t(i))) the shutter is
set to 1/60 when the flash indicates it's charged (and the ready light in the
finder is lit). Once the first curtain is fully open, the flash is ignited
and the camera shuts off the flash when enough light is received. If the
flash fully dumps, and there is still not enough light, the shutter closes
anyway, at a speed of 1/60.

On the original OM-2 there is no flash ready indication, the flash is fired
as normal when the first curtain is fully open, but if the flash fully dumps
its charge and there still isn't enough light, the shutter will remain open
until the OTF sensor thinks it has had enough exposure. I don't have an OM-2,
but this would seem to be a capability that could produce some neat effects.

Paul Schings
Coventry, Rhode Island, USA