RE: [OM] 200/f4 + Shutter Shudders: (was"200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/200mm F4)

Subject: RE: [OM] 200/f4 + Shutter Shudders: (was"200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/200mm F4)
From: "Tim Breen" <timbreen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 00:59:44 -0500
Hi Keith,

Keith wrote:

> This reminds me that I once read a recommendation to tie a net bag to the
> tripod to fill with stones collected in the vicinity (to save
> carrying them everywhere with you!)

I collected rocks too... but it takes time and my hands got dirty
(tisk-tisk). Now I figure, hey, I gotta put my camera bag _somewhere_ so I
might as well hang it on the tripod and keep it off the ground and clean,
and its faster too.

Keith also wrote:

> The effects of mirror/shutter/auto-iris shake on a body with an Auto mode
> could be assessed on a static subject and a slow speed by
> exposing one frame normally followed by one with a black card held over
the
> end of the lens, > and which is taken away a few seconds after releasing
> the shutter - after any vibrations have died away.

Someone once showed me an example of the effect of mirror slap/shutter shake
that really stuck in my mind. He mounted the camera normally onto his tripod
and put a glass of water on top, resting on the flash shoe. When the system
fired off a frame you could clearly see the ripples of water in the glass.
Made a believer out of me.

Tim