Re: [OM] OT: 1999 Ballerina of Prose Award

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: 1999 Ballerina of Prose Award
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 12:40:50 +0200
: Hmmm, IJsselmeer? Gaasperplas? Or is it a play of words to indicate
Schiphol
: airport?!? ;)
: (for the non-Dutch people: KLM always uses swans for its commercials)

Yeah right planes. I must admit that I occassionally, when the're flying too
low again and making too much noise, feel the urge to shoot them, using a
big gun, that is. But I was talking about real swans.
The lake is situated near a location that gives a new meaning to the Dutch
economy term 'polder model'; it is optimistically called 'Diemer Bos'
(Forest of Diemen) but is actually a loose set of pieces land squeezed in
the middle of highways and railroads. Some of the pieces of land have been
planted with tiny trees that maybe will give our great-grandchildren an idea
of a real forest; all of it gives a bizarre impression of nature struggling
with human civilization. One of swan shots I took seem to emphasize this:
three of them flying away, with an electricity plant blurred in the
background.

Hans